Sr. R&D Engineer / Research & Development Engineer
Company: Cameron Craig Group
Posted on: October 7, 2019
Sr. R&D Engineer / Research & Development Engineer
Reporting to the Director of Systems Engineering, the Sr. Staff
Engineer will progress design concepts through the product
development stages utilizing processes and skills such as Global
Product Development Systems (GPDS), Project Management, Design of
Experiments, Design for Six Sigma, Design for Manufacturability and
Statistical Analysis for a dynamic portfolio of new product
development and product engineering projects.
- Lead the R&D team over the continuum of product
development; Define, plan, coordinate & communicate R&D
deliverables on the program and maintain collaborative
relationships with cross-functional team including Marketing,
Quality, Regulatory, Manufacturing Technology and Operations.
Deliverables could include:
- Translation of customer and operational requirements into
verifiable product requirements and specifications for product
systems, subsystems, interfaces and components and maintain
traceability throughout the development process.
- Drive design decisions at the intersection of material, form
factor, process, human factors considerations that enable robust
system architectures that are built upon deep subject matter
expertise in key foundational technology domains.
- Synthesize, develop, update and optimize designs that meet
requirements by understanding design space with design options and
tradeoffs, managing critical parameters, leverage strong
engineering fundamentals and tools and integrating manufacturing
principles early in the development.
- Critically evaluate and analyze system performance and
reliability and ensure the design space is adequately
pressure-tested to satisfy user, regulatory and business
requirements. Understand system and subsystem design sensitivity
and identify and address early any potential design integration and
- Implement DFSS rigor throughout the design selection and
development process, leveraging and deploying empirical,
statistical and analytical tools which will improve design
decisions and reduce design iteration cycle times.
- Ensure the design considerations are embedding all applicable
DFX (Design for Excellence) aspects including manufacturability,
serviceability, reliability and safety.
- Provide technical ownership for product design aspects for
developmental and commercial products within the platforms
throughout their entire lifecycle. Resolve technical problems.
Create solutions for technical problems using systematic
- Provide subject matter expertise and stay current with cutting
edge technologies and material advancements to improve the rigor of
Design and Development. Conduct in depth research and assessment of
the industry landscape from IP, regulatory, products, technologies
standpoint. Present and lead technical reviews at the various
stages of Design and development. Facilitate effective
multi-functional communication and engagement
- Mentor junior engineers and technicians in the execution of
R&D project deliverables.
- Follow the Design Control process for medical devices and
ensure compliance with all local, state, federal, international and
internal safety regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Education: Minimum BS in Mechanical, Chemical, Materials or
Biomedical Engineering or related field. MS/PhD preferred.
- Minimum 6 years of experience (or educational equivalent)
leading / supporting product development projects in the medical
- Experience with implementing product changes through a
structured, phase-gated, product development process.
- Critical Thinking:
- Skilled at finding logical flaws in arguments and plans;
provides detailed insight and constructive criticism into problems
and complex situations; foresees problems and potential
- Ability to identify, break down and solve deep technical
- Leadership Skills:
- Strong sense of accountability and action orientation.
- Ability to set direction, align goals, lead and influence
others in a matrix organization
- Ability to analyze, organize and present large amounts of data
in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to appropriately set a technical vison/strategy,
distill the vison into an actionable plan and delegate effectively
to extended engineering team members
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and cross
functional influencing skills
- Ability to mentor and coach junior members in the
- Displaying Technical Expertise:
- Design for Six Sigma and proficiency with statistical
techniques including familiarity with analysis of variance (ANOVA)
and design of experiment (DOE) methodologies is highly
- Keeps their technical skills current through literature review
and attending conferences;
- Feels a strong desire & has the ability / willingness to learn
and acquire new skills, knowledge and subject matter;
- Effectively applies specialized knowledge and skills to perform
- Masters the technical skills, knowledge, and tasks associated
with the role
- Making Accurate Judgements and Decisions:
- Bases decisions on a systematic review of relevant facts and
- Uses logical and theoretical thought process to make decisions
in cases of insufficient information
- Feels comfortable with ambiguity, making practical assumptions
with engineering justifications, where needed.
SKILLS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- six sigma
- 6 yrs of developing medical device products
- implementing product change
- 3+ yrs of technical leadership
- 3+ yrs set a technical vison/strategy, distill the vison into
an actionable plan
- familiarity with analysis of variance (ANOVA) and design of
experiment (DOE) methodologies
Keywords: Cameron Craig Group, Fullerton , Sr. R&D Engineer / Research & Development Engineer, Engineering , Fullerton, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!