Regional Hospital Outpatient Coder - Downey
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Position tasks are to be performed onsite. This is not a remote
position. -Under supervision, is responsible for assigning accurate
diagnosis and procedure codes to the patients' health information
records, for: Emergency Department. This responsibility requires
that the new coder be on-site for up to one calendar year and will
require appropriate code assignment for physician-documented
patient diagnoses, conditions and procedures; utilizing various
coding classification schemes including ICD-10CM (may include PCS),
and HCPCS/CPT. All work will be carried out in accordance with the:
International Classification of Diseases - Official Coding
Guidelines for coding and reporting as established by the Centers
for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the National Center
for Health Statistics (NCHS); American Medical Association (CPT);
Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD);
National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI), and Kaiser Permanente
organizational/institutional coding directives. Ability to
communicate with physicians in order to obtain clarification for
diagnoses/procedures. Ability to understand the clinical content of
the health record and abstract the data in the patient health
information record data as well as perform other duties as
assigned. -Essential Responsibilities:
- Upholds and maintains Kaiser Permanente's Policies and
Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and all applicable
state, federal and local laws.
- Reviews patient health information record to: identify and
assign appropriate codes for diagnoses, procedures, and other
services rendered, while also validating any Computer Assisted Code
- Appropriately sequences codes for diagnoses, procedures and
other services as needed for proper Ambulatory Payment
Classification (APC) assignment, utilizing the applicable coding
- Prevents errors, and if necessary, reviews OSHPD error
correction reports within the scope of the assigned abstracting and
coding function and makes corrections.
- Ensures that all abstracted and/or coded data are consistent
with federal and state regulations (JCAH, Title 22), OSHPD
reporting guidelines and organizational policy as it relates to the
corporate compliance policy for accurate and complete coding.
- Interacts with physicians through established query process in
order to clarify documentation supporting accurate patient
diagnostic and procedure coding.
- Abstracts patient information into the computerized systems, in
a manner ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the data.
- Ensures timely coded record availability according to
regulatory guidelines, by meeting established coding and
abstracting productivity standards.
- Ensures quality standards by meeting the established 95% coding
accuracy and 98% completeness quality standards.
- Maintains and complies with HIPAA policies and procedures for
privacy and confidentiality of all patient records.
- Attends and participates in selected national, regional and
coding educational sessions. Works collaboratively with others on
coding questions and issues.
- Demonstrates knowledge of system security, by complying with KP
Electronic Assets Usage Policy.
- Maintains courteous and cooperative relations when interacting
with others. Performs other duties as assigned.Pay Grade 19Basic
- Minimum two (2) years of experience as a certified coder.
- Per the National Agreement, current KP Coalition employees have
this experience requirement waived.Education
- Successful completion of an accredited coding certification
program and obtaining COC (formerly CPC-H) or CPC or CCS. May also
possess Registered Health Information Technician and or Registered
Health Information Administrator qualifications.License,
- Requires one of the following current credentials: Certified
Outpatient Coder (formerly CPC-H) or Certified Professional Coder
or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). -Additional Requirements:
- Demonstrated competence with personal computers, networks, and
Microsoft Office. Must obtain a passing score of 80% or higher on
the KPSC Outpatient Coding Skills Entry Assessment. -Preferred
- N/AJob Schedule: Job Category: Health Information
Keywords: Kaiser, Fullerton , Regional Hospital Outpatient Coder - Downey, Healthcare , Fullerton, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!